Thursday, August 13, 2009

Banana Bread and other Baking Adventures


Sam sifts the flour

Ella kneads the dough for the white bread

Max mixes the banana bread dough

Rising
Banana Bread
Mmm Mmm Good
The kids and I spent yesterday baking in the kitchen. We made two yummy kinds of bread: Banana Bread & White Bread. I got the white bread recipe from my friend Melissa's blog, and it was a great "first" bread to make if you haven't made bread before. I've made quick breads a million times, but never baked "real" bread...you know, the kind that involves yeast, kneading, rising, etc. It was a super fun and super messy endeavor, but so worth it in the end! Neither bread is expensive to make, you probably have the ingredients on hand (except for rotting bananas...not everyone has those on hand). I have a HUGE bread book with all kinds of recipes in it, and I had chosen a very simple and easy bread to "cut my teeth" on, but realized the morning of the baking that the recipe had milk in it. No milk for Sam! So I checked out my friend's blog and she had the perfect recipe, I suggest you check it out...she has a plethora of bread recipes! We cannot wait to bake more bread...such a wonderful experience for all of us.
Banana Bread
From Better Homes & Gardens (the really old version)
1/3 cup Margarine
1/2 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 3/4 cup Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 cup Mashed Ripe Banana
1/2 cup chopped Walnuts (optional)
Mix all ingredients well and bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees, until the knife comes out clean.

1 comment:

Tess said...

looks like so much fun!