Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bruschetta

I've been making this bruschetta recipe quite a bit lately, so I thought I would share it with all of you.  I have changed & adapted this recipe quite a bit over the years, and it's now one of my favorite appetizers to take to a party.  When I make this I often split the recipe into two containers, one for whatever occasion I have cooked it for, and the other to freeze for future use.  You know I love my deepfreeze.  It's always good to have an appetizer or two in the freezer for unexpected company, or for taking to a last minute gathering.  This bruschetta can be served many ways, usually I bring Pita Crackers, but it's also good over pasta, or with toasted baguette slices.  And if you're feeling especially daring you can sprinkle a bit of shredded parm or mozz on top.  I've served it both warm and cold (I prefer warm, but it works either way).  It doesn't take long at all to make this, and it will make your house smell like an Italian Restaurant in the process.  You can substitute fresh romas for the canned tomatoes, unless like me, you have no romas in the garden thanks to some starving neighborhood deer. 
Enjoy!

Bruschetta

3 Hearty Spoonfuls of Minced Garlic (yes, the jar kind..it's just too easy)
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
3 cans diced Tomatoes (drained)
2 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp. Basil
½ tsp. Pepper
½ tsp. Salt

-Saute garlic in oil until brown (about two minutes)
-Stir in tomatoes & vinegar, stirring frequently, cook 20-30 minutes until mixture thickens.
-Stir in basil, salt and pepper
-Serve right away with crackers, pasta or bread or store in fridge or freezer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love love Love this stuff!!

Unknown said...

mmmmm, i love bruschetta and have never made it. i have a moms night this month and i think i will make this, thanks!