Monday, December 20, 2010

a few of my favorite things ~ christmas edition

we all know that the spirit of christmas is not about what "things" we have.  but sometimes the "things" help us celebrate the season, they hold memories and help us pass on traditions to our children.  sometimes just a look at something you hold dear can bring on a rush of memories, or a good feeling inside that makes you smile.  here are a few of my favorite "things" around the house this holiday season.


i love this sight in the winter:  fireplace ablaze with flames and mantel adorned with stockings.
this sweet little santa bell makes me smile, especially when i see the smiles on little faces as they ring the bell.
and how about this santa?  this guady little gold santa?  he's just adorable.  he was a gift from a student years and years ago when i was teaching at a childcare center during college.  he was one of our very first holiday decorations.
you are my sunshine...when we were first married michael and i started giving each other ornaments for st. nick's.  the ornaments i gave him were of a celestial theme (the sunshine above was this year's), and his were always santa designs (like the little blue santa bell).  we don't do this every single year, but it's still one of my favorite traditions.
our tree.  we made a huge change this year and purchased a pre-lit faux evergreen instead of a live tree.  for environmental and economical reasons we decided to take this step, and we are quite happy with our decision.
frosty - he sits on my windowsill (you know how much i love my kitchen window), and he reminds me how much i love winter and the christmas season!
and i love love love all of the old ornaments from my childhood that decorate our tree.  like this little gem from first grade. 
this is an odd favorite...an ash tray made by my great grandmother Rose.  we use it as a candy dish though.  homemade "things" are my definately my favorite kinds of things. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love the little gold santa!