Sunday, November 25, 2012

Delicious Black Bean Recipes

I am completely smitten with the Black Bean & Rice Burrito recipe from the Skinny Mom's Kitchen blog (see photo above).  The meet the most important of my criteria for a perfect meal:  easy to make and delicious.  We eat them quite often around these parts.  I like to double the black bean portion of this recipe and use the leftovers to make other cool dinners....
....like pizza

....or a quesadilla

....or tasty appetizers

Do you love black beans?  Try these recipes out and let me know what you think!

Here's how to make the black bean mixture that I use for the above dinners:

SMK's Black Beans
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained
1 14.5 ounce can diced chili-style tomatoes, slightly drained
1 cup chicken stock

Directions:
Step 1: Saute in large pan onion in the olive oil for about 3 minutes or until it starts to get soft then add garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes. Then stir in cumin and cayenne pepper and saute for 1 more minute.
Ste 2: Add black beans, tomatoes, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer  for 15 – 20 minutes.

Then you can eat these beans in so many ways!  I usually double this recipe.


Black Bean & Rice Burritos ::  See the Skinny Mom's Kitchen Blog for the rest of the directions for how to make your burrito.

Black Bean Pizza :: I buy a store-bought crust and then top the crust with the black bean mixture, from edge to edge.  Then I cover the beans with shredded mozzerella and jalapeno slices.  Bake at 450 until cheese is melted and golden.  You can top with sour cream, salsa and/or chopped green onions.

Black Bean Quesadilla ::  You can find the recipe for the Black Bean Quesadilla here on my blog.

Black Bean Appetizers ::  For these I simply used refrigerated Crescent rolls.  I unrolled each crescent, put a spoonful of the bean mixture inside and then rolled up the Crescent Roll as directed on package.  I baked according to package directions as well.  Next time I make these I intend to add a little shredded pepper jack cheese to the inside of the crescent with the beans.    



Thirty Handmade Days

No comments: