Thursday, September 15, 2011

Filling the Deep Freeze

Around this time each year I spend my time filling the deep freeze in the basement.  I started this years ago when I was teaching, I would double & triple dinner recipes through the months of August and September and then fill the freezer.  This is such a huge help to our family during the school year.  Our nights have become crazy & hectic with sports, scouts, and other various activities, and some evenings I just can't seem to get my act together.  Meal planning has been a huge help, and reduced stress.  And now that I have meals in the freezer I can pull out it makes our crazier evenings much more managable. 

Here are a few of my favorite meals to make & freeze:
Skillet Red Beans
Spaghetti & Meatballs
Truckstop Chili
Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Skyline Pie
Fresh Vegetable Soup
Lasagna
Tailgate Casserole
Slow Cooker Chicken Burritos
Italian Meatsauce
Black Bean & Rice Burritos
Sausage & Fennel Pasta Bake
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Barbeque
Lemon Basil Pasta Bake

Here are some other fun things I freeze for easy meals & snacks:
Banana Bread
Muffins
Hummus
Waffles
Granola Bars
Bourbon Slush ;)

What are your freezer meals to prepare?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Sorry! In my excitement, I posted my comment in the wrong place!

Food schmood...immediately I opened the bourbon slush! How did I miss that this summer?? I like to freeze shepherd's pie, bean soup and chili. FYI, your lemon basil chicken was awesome. Thanks for sharing!

cindy said...

I love to double up on my meat loaf recipe and freeze it. Also currently in my freezer is a fresh peach and blackberry pie and several dinners of stuffed peppers and pulled pork for sandwiches. I also roast a whole chicken every couple of weeks and freeze the broth for homemade stock to make fast soups all winter. Frozen whole strawberries and cherry tomatoes and quartered whole tomatoes and chunks and slices of red and yellow bell peppers! Yep, I love my freezer and summer's bounty! ;)

The Little Things Mama said...

Thanks for all the great ideas guys! And Michelle, so glad you liked the lemon basil chicken ... I have a feeling you'll love the slush as well ;)

Amy said...

I love to freeze lasagnas. I line the pan with foil and then when they are frozen I lift them out and keep them in storage bags in the deep freeze. Tail gate casserole looks yummy. Do you freeze that before or after cooking it?

The Little Things Mama said...

I freeze the tailgate casserole before cooking it in the oven. Then I defrost it and cook :)